Wednesday, June 13, 2012

How's your garden doing?

Pin It    Do you have a garden, a vegetable patch or even an herb plant on your windowsill? We love growing our own veggies. In the last few days I spent a little more time outside in our yard so I decided to update with some pictures of our garden:



   Peas are doing beautifully! We had a couple of handfuls already and we have plenty more to come. We built this chicken wire wall for beans and peas, and peas are loving it! Cucumbers are doing great too:


  Hubby built me a cool trellis for when cukes get bigger. Then they can spread on this trellis, and I'll plant more salad underneath it for some shade:


   Peppers are really happy! I haven't had much success with peppers in the last few years so I tried to read everything I could before the season started. I use Epsom salt this time around, and my plants are doing so much better already. I added some before I planted and then I mix 1 tsp of salt in 1 quart water and spray my peppers about every two weeks with this solution:



   You can see some kale on the back here too. We still have some salad that I'm planning to use this week:


     And here's some romaine. It's doing nicely too:


   Zucchini and tomatoes are doing good too. I even got some blossoms on tomato plants already ( I feed them with eggshells for better growth ):



   I forgot to take a picture of my herb garden put it's doing pretty good too, and we enjoy plenty of fresh herbs. My beans are not doing as nicely so I'm thinking of buying some plants in the store and try again. I used seeds this time, and they were supposed to be 40-day ones before harvesting but it's been a month and I have like two leaves on each plant.
   Overall, I'm very pleased with our garden and can't wait to have our own fresh produce here.

   How's your garden doing (if you have any)? What did you plant this year?

19 comments:

  1. My garden is doing great. I can't believe it. The drip sprinkler really helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We want to make a drip sprinkler system next year. This year I'm doing it the old-fashioned way :)

      Delete
  2. We are a little behind this year. but things are coming up nicely, we are eating lettuce now but in a few weeks, we will have beet greens. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are you doing with beet greens? I have some I need to use up.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the tip on the epsom salt, I have never heard of that! Our garden has been painfully slow this year, everything is up but growing ever so slowly. All we have gotten so far is lettuce, radishes and summer squash. Your garden looks so fresh and inviting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to plant some more radishes too. We picked up the last few. The Epsom salt trick is new for me too. I've read about it online in March. But it seems to be working so far.

      Delete
  4. Looks fantastic Lena! (I really like the new pic of you too!) I love to garden but won't have a veggie garden til I'm living out east permanently. Then...look out...it'll be veggies everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! I live in an apartment and don't have space, but lately I've been thinking about growing some herbs in my balcony.Your garden is definitely inspiring, I would love to see the herbs you have growing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grow some basil and dill on the windowsill and thyme,parsley,cilantro, oregano and more basil in a pot on the porch. Not all of them do good but we still get plenty to eat.

      Delete
  6. Looks so beautiful. It's hard here in AZ to garden. I had a nice one before moving to current home. I've mostly given up now as I don't really have the time it takes to keep it water and alive in the summers here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I understand. That would be really hard in AZ.

      Delete
  7. Your garden looks beautiful. Mine is doing all right, but not as great as yours. But I did notice my first raspberry starting to get big enough to pick soon. Our raspberry patch is a little out of control this year, so hopefully we will have lots to pick soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm...raspberries, I would love to plant some but we just don't have enough space :(

      Delete
  8. Look at your garden with ours only being planted a couple of days ago... lovely yours is, Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too would love a vegetable garden but, living out here in the desert as I do, I haven't yet figured out the best way to go about it. The soil is sandy and there isn't much shade. Also, lots of pests abound in these parts, namely Hornworms, which are big green caterpillars that seem to come out of nowhere in droves and eat the plants down to the ground in no time. Oh well ... lol

    Your garden looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yikes, we don't have any caterpillars like this here. My biggest problem is slugs that's why I don't bother with cabbage.

      Delete
  10. Your garden is looking much nicer than mine so far.
    Happy eating! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...