Monday, September 30, 2013

Food waste and a menu, week 9/30-10/6

Pin It
Well, I didn't realize that going back to normal would be so hard (surprise, surprise!). The first night that I came home, I slept for 6 hours, and I thought that this transition would be easy. How wrong I was!! In the past few days I've been functioning on 3-4 hours of interrupted sleep, and you can imagine, how exhausted I am... Last night I woke up at 3.15 am and just couldn't go back to sleep. I laid there for about 1.5 hours and eventually got up and actually made a shopping list for today. I know, crazy me :) Then I crashed again for another hour or so...This whole jet leg thing is really draining me. Time for some melatonin tonight...

Another thing that was hard to come home to was the amount of food waste we had in the fridge. You wouldn't think that one week can cause so much damage but I was surprised! As you can imagine, my boys weren't necessarily gourmet cooks here while I was gone but the amount of food waste was still way more than I expected. That is what I threw away just from the produce bin alone:

 photo IMG_0001_zps033034a8.jpg

GROSS!! After I cleaned our fridge I was basically left with a couple of zucchinis, cukes and carrots, produce-wise. And I had tons of other waste too. But now our fridge is all clean and organized, and I'm getting back on track. No food waste as long as I can help it :)

Luckily, one of my friends really helped me to solve my "lack of produce" problem:) She has an amazing garden -both summer and fall - and she shared some of her abundance with us yesterday:

 photo IMG_0003_zpsb63b66d2.jpg

Beautiful, isn't it?? Almost too beautiful to eat :)We actually had green beans with dinner today, and they were AMAZING! Also one of the kohlrabi's never made it to the picture :) I do have some amazing friends :)

And between all of this deliciousness and some zucchinis and the last cucumbers that I picked from our garden today, we should be set with produce for at least a week. And so far that's what made it to our menu this week:

Mon.- mashed potatoes, ham steak, steamed green beans, tomatoes
Tues. - leftover vegetable soup (from Sunday) with rye bread
Wed. - zucchini pasta
Thurs.- rice and crab salad (traditional Russian salad with imitation crab meat, Hubby's favorite)
Fr.- salmon in tomato sauce, leftover rice, chopped salad
Sat.- leftovers
Sun.- pork roast, mashed potatoes, green salad

And what are you eating this week? Are you all cooking fall meals already or are you still enjoying the last warm days on your side of the world and fire up the grill? What is your favorite fall meal?

6 comments:

  1. Oh my, that pile of fresh food looks so good! Hope you can get yourself back on the US time zone soon, I know you must be worn out. I don't know what our favorite recipe is for fall we love them all! I think anything simmering on the stove all afternoon might be the best, ahh the smells of fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all that free fresh produce you were given. I was given a ton of hot peppers and tomatoes from a neighbor yesterday. I will can the hot peppers this week. YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's bound to happen when the boys are left to their own devices. I was only gone for 24 hours this weekend, left them with a FULL fridge and he still did fast food :( The produce from your friend looks like a magazine picture... have fun coming up with some yummy meals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi lena
    our favorite meals for autumn/winter they are soups,sauerkraut and onionquiche(zwiebelkuchen).the fresh food looks very good. love the kohlrabi!
    wish you a nice week,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I notice some turnips in your picture. That is one of my favorite fall veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love my garden and anything I can get from neighbors, except zucchini!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...