Saturday, January 5, 2013

An easy slaw - Russian style.

Pin It

One of the things you can often see on my grocery list is cabbage. Someone asked me once what I do with all of it. Well, I wanted to share with you one salad recipe that I often make in winter because it's inexpensive and chock-ful of vitamins. If you want to know more about vitamins that can be found in cabbage, check out this article.

012-6-1

OK, and here's what you need for this salad:

INGREDIENTS:
  • half a head of cabbage
  • 1 large carrot
  • a couple of sprigs of green onions, nicely chopped
  • optional  but tastes better with - half a pepper chopped (I used yellow but green or red works too)
  • 3 tbs light olive oil
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 2 tsp lemon juice 

HOW-TO:

Peel and grate a carrot, shred cabbage. Mix both together, sprinkle with salt and kind of squeeze a few times to let some juices out. I just do it with my hands. In a separate bowl combine oil, sugar and lemon juice and whisk together. Combine all vegetables in a large bowl and toss with the prepared dressing. Cool in the fridge for about half an hour. Toss again before serving.

It's a very classic Russian slaw, especially in winter when there is no fresh local produce. But lots of people grow their own in summer (including cabbage) and preserve it for colder months. I tried to grow cabbage for the first time this year but bugs ate it. But I'm not too upset because I can always find some deals for cabbage (I got it for 99c for 4 lbs. this week) to make a delicious and healthy salad for pennies. And I've heard that cabbage helps you lose weight. I'm not sure if it's true but it won't hurt, right? :)

I shared this post with these great parties:
Frugal Crafty Home Hop 
Mop It Up Mondays
Marvelous Mondays 
Creative Bloggers Party Hop 
Clever Chicks Blog Hop 
Carol's Chatter

20 comments:

  1. I will be trying this. It sounds similar to something they call "health slaw" at my grocery store deli counter. Cabbage is a very versatile and inexpensive veggie. I love it raw or cooked.
    We have many Polish immigrants living in this area so I've learned to cook quite a few new-to-me dishes involving cabbage from my neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet lots of Polish recipes are similar to Russian. I love cabbage raw, cooked, in soups, salads. You name it!

      Delete
  2. Your salad sounds very tasty. I have all the ingredients in so I think I will make it today.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you liked it:)

      Delete
    2. It was delicous. I will make it again.
      Thanks
      Carolx

      Delete
  3. I am going to give this a try, always looking for more ways to use up cabbage in the spring and fall. What salad dressing do you use to dress it with? Next year try to plant your cabbage early in the spring, it won't take the heat of the summer. Also there is a mix in the garden center called Slug Away I think it is that will work to keep the buggers off. You just sprinkle it around the cabbage bed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the mixture of sugar, lemon juice and oil is a dressing :) I'm not sure if I'll try cabbage again because it takes up too much space. I wish I had a size of land like Cindy has :) I only have a small strip on our backyard. So I might stick to tomatoes, zucchini, cukes, salads, beans and peas :) But thanks for advice. I might get a little patch of cabbage, we'll see :) Now I want spring to come even sooner!!

      Delete
  4. One of my hubby's favorites is Slaw, Lena. I will have to try your version some day. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love slaw a lot too. It tastes a little different but might be a little healthier too (without all this mayo :)

      Delete
  5. I used to make this, but haven't thought about it for a long time. I need to use up some cabbage, so we may be having this for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy and healthy! Will definitely have to make it for the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is yummy. Even my two-year old likes it (not my 6-yer old though who eats all kinds of vegetables except a couple like cabbage. Go figure!)

      Delete
  7. It looks really good. I am going to make it this week, but I'll substitute fine diced red onion for the green 'cause I have all ingredients except green onion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried it with red onion (Hubby only doesn't eat raw onion- other than green:) but it's a very versatile recipe. I made it with cucumbers, tomatoes, even grated apple (if you eat it right away).

      Delete
  8. Mmm... looks good, and easy to make! I would do it without the onions, though, as I am allergic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks pretty good! I'm trying to find new ways to sneak more veggies in my diet and this helps. Thanks for sharing this at Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lena, thanks for getting the party started! Love your slaw. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lena~ I love slaw and will definitely give this slaw recipe a try~ I love to put slaw on hot dogs and even grilled fish sandwiches~Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...