Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Food waste and a menu, week 10/14-10/20 (a day late :)

Pin It
I know, it's already Tuesday, and I'm yet to have my usual Monday post. Well, I spent last night helping our 7-year old on his first ever school project that he successfully forgot about...Yeah, I'm that kind of Mom :)

And then this whole day was a blur. Does it ever happen to you that you feel like the day just flew by you, yet it seems like you didn't achieve much?? I hate those days!

I think, another reason why I feel this way is because both Hubby and I are pretty sleep-deprived. Ever since I came home my 3-year old thinks that sleeping in his own bed... or sleeping in general is a waste of time! In the past week, we got, probably, about 2 nights of actual uninterrupted sleep...Little stinker! I'm really hoping for some shut eye tonight...

But at least, I didn't have any food waste last week. I'm getting back to my normal self:) So instead, to break up this post and make it a little less boring, here is a picture of something I made a few days ago:

 photo IMG_0049_zps9c21a5f9.jpg

These are what we call "pirojki" in Russia. They are delicious yeasty rolls with different fillings. I made them with potatoes and onions, cabbage, and apples. Yum! Can't you see, I'm missing home already? :)

And this week we are eating (maybe, I'm still working on our menu :)

Mon. - pizza and salad
Tues.- baked chicken, pasta and curried broccoli
Wed. - breakfast for dinner (crepes with some delicious vanilla peach syrup. Thank you, Cherish :)
Thurs. - vegetable soup
Fr.- meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans
Sat.- zucchini pasta (I've been putting it on our menu for the past three weeks and I'm yet to make it :)
Sun.- coconut shrimps, mosaic rice, whatever veggies we have left by then.

And what are you eating this week? :)


19 comments:

  1. Ah, school projects. I am so happy to be past that stage. You have an interesting path ahead of you with them. Hope your "normal" self includes some sleep soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling it might be the case. Even the first one was already an adventure :)

      Delete
  2. I have not slept through the night since my son was born.....almost 12 years ago! I actually forget what it is like to go to sleep and wake up 8 hours later. Ah, the good old days :)

    Hope you catch up on your sleep soon. You have more on your mind than a lot of people. I am sure this accounts for your disrupted sleep as well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 12 years is a LONG time! I hope, he will outgrow it soon!!!

      Delete
  3. Those rolls look really good! I was almost in dismay those might've been what the food waste was about. I might have some food waste, as soon as I get around to actually opening the fridge. I've been living off leftovers and frozen vegetables, and since I haven't done salads in a while (I take some my younger sister brings from her work), I may have lost half an onion, some olives (and ugh) some feta cheese. I will really have to go home and check now! I love feta cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that would be sad :( Especially if you just add a tomato to these ingredients, and that would be a yummy salad... I hope you can still save your onion, olives and, especially, feta. I love feta too :)

      Delete
  4. Wow Lena~ Your pirojki look delicious!! I could definitely eat a few of those on this rainy, chilly day we are having here in Northern WI:) Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynn! It took time to make them but they turned out pretty good!

      Delete
  5. Hi Lena! Are those the same as Polish pierogies? I have a polish student and his mom makes him homemade pierogies for his lunch sometimes. He loves them soooo much he eats several before they even get microwaved! Yours look incredible!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, these are Russian but I bet they are pretty similar because Polish and Russian cuisine has a lot in common. By the way, they are pretty good both warm and cold :)

      Delete
  6. Hope you see my comments! I've tried to comment twice but it disappears into cyber space somewhere! I'll check back later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked, as you can see :) Glad to see you back, by the way!

      Delete
  7. I used to eat something like those pirojkis growing up. My friend's mom had Croatian/Slovakian heritage and they made something like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I bet it was something similar. They make pirojkis there too.

      Delete
  8. Days flying by, wait until they feel like months ! School projects, are so much fun, but really not at last minute *smile* xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not last minute ones! But we had a great time working on it together :)

      Delete
  9. Boy do those look good, but i am trying not to eat because I ate so much last weekend at the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, you're welcome! Thank you for coming to my rescue with cheese.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...