When I'm on a tight budget, I'm always looking for delicious but inexpensive recipes to make. This one was a winner! I found it on one of the Russian cooking forums but it originally came from the book "Grandma`s Best Recipes" (not sure which one. I found quite a few different ones online).
I had all of the ingredients on hand, and it turned out so good that, I thought, I would share it with you. Yum!
You will need:
- 1 small cauliflower head
- 1 TB butter
- 1 TB flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated cheese+a couple more for topping
- 1/3 tsp. nutmeg
- salt, pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Separate cauliflower head into florets.
2. Place cauliflower in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water, cover and cook until tender but still firm, for 5-7 min. Drain and pat dry with a towel.
3. While your florets are cooking, in a separate pot melt butter and add flour. Cook on low heat for 1 minute stirring constantly.
4. Take it off the heat and add milk gradually while mixing it all together to avoid lumps.
5. Bring the mixture back to boil and cook on low for 2-3 minutes or until thickens. Again, you need to stir it all the time.
6. Mix in cheese, nutmeg and pepper. Once cheese is melted, check if it needs more salt (to taste).
7. Place cauliflower in casserole dish; gently stir in cheesy sauce. Sprinkle with some cheese on top (can also add bread or cracker crumbs for extra crunch) and cook for about 10 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.
8. Serve with rice or quinoa. Enjoy!
I'm sharing this recipe with these awesome parties:
By Stephanie Lynn Uncommon Designs