Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mother's Day gift.

Pin It

I was dying to show you what I made for my MIL for Mother's Day. But because occasionally she reads my blog and checks Facebook too, I had to wait (and patience is not one of my virtues...Just saying:)

A little less than two months ago my Mother-in-law became a Grandma for the fifth time, and the little guy inspired the whole idea for me:

 photo MILgift_zps28383f35.jpg

I don't even know what to call it :) A photo holder? A photo display? Who knows... But she liked it :)

It was actually pretty easy to make. I purchased all the wood in Lowes (cost me about $20):

 photo MIL2_zps46274171.jpg

I just realized that I don't even have measurements for the wood but in case you decide to make something similar yourself, it will be pretty easy to find what fits your needs and style.

First, I cut the long thick piece and painted it white. Then I just mod-podged (is that a word?? I used mod podge :) some paper over it. I got this paper on sale at Joanne's - only 20c a sheet, and I used 3 sheets for the whole project. Isn't this paper just so pretty?!It fits my MIL's decor perfectly.

Then I made "the picture frames". I basically glued two pieces of wood together with some tacky glue and painted them green:

 photo MIL1_zps05b08e96.jpg

I then used mod podge again to attach the pictures to it. Very easy!

To finish it up, I added the lovely phrase and a bow. I don't have any fancy vinyl machines so I just bought stickers in two sizes from Joanne's (again on sale). And I still have more then enough letters left for another project.

The picture frames are not attached. They are just sitting on the top in case there will be more grand kids to add (and no, it's not an announcement :).

So for about $25 I made something very special for an amazing Mom and Grandma (or change it to "Grandpa" for Father's Day :) :

 photo MIL4_zpsf3bd1d3a.jpg

What do you think??

I shared this project with these great parties:
The Shabby Nest  
Six Sister's Stuff 
I Should be mopping the floor 
Homemaker on a Dime 
Monday Funday Link Party 
Marvelous Mondays 
To Sew With Love 
Under the Table and Dreaming 
Pinkapotamus 
Elizabeth & Co 
Clean and Scentsible 
The Real Housewives of Riverton 
The Mandatory Mooch 
Thrifty Decor Chick 
Ginger Snap Crafts 
Fluster Buster 

7 comments:

  1. I never met a grandmother that didn't' like to get pictures of her grandkids. Then display those very attractively like you did and she must have been very, very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute is that!! I know she was over the moon to recive something so usefull, cute, and made with your loving hands!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's adorable and looks great. Better than anything you could've bought for her in store, and hand made. I'm sure she loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's pretty awesome! I bet she did like it. I'd love something like that too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww.. it's soo sweet! :) Great job, Lena! I made my mom a gift that I hadn't posted yet either.. i'll do that later on today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very cute, Lena - I have some metal string that hangs off a nail and to which you can attach photos with tiny magnets - that's cute too. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Lena~ I'm a Grandma and I would love that!! Great Job~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...