Monday, February 10, 2014

Food waste and no menu week...

Pin It
I was trying to work on our menu plan but it's just not coming to me! This week we have a few special occasions to celebrate but I've also been slightly under the weather and not feeling much like cooking. I made a huge batch of soup today that will give us at least one more dinner and a couple of lunches. I think on cold winter days, soup is my best friend. Even though it's not too cold here right now. In fact, the temperature should reach 55F by the end of the week. It's such a teaser!! I can't wait for spring to really get here.

But other than soup, I didn't go too far on our menu. I'll probably make some fried rice with a bit of ham that needs to be used up tomorrow. But I know, I'm definitely not cooking on Thursday since it's my Birthday (I'll let Hubby figure it out...:) or Friday. But on Saturday I have my sister and best friend with their families over, and I have no idea what to make. Complete blank... Do you have any good ideas on what to make for dinner that is kid-friendly and also good for bigger people?!! What do you generally make for a small get-together?

I did have a bit of food waste this week:

 photo IMG_0760_zpse862cee0.jpg

I got a thing of cantaloupe a week or so ago. It was a little hard but the kiddos didn't want to wait for it to ripen. Surely enough, after trying, they did not like it. It sat in the fridge for a while. I was thinking of making cantaloupe bread but never got to it. Oh, well... And the small baggie on the top has a bit of unfinished mango that got lost on the bottom of the produce drawer.

And how was your week? What are you eating in the next seven days?

8 comments:

  1. Hope that you feel better! Happy early birthday too!

    I like to serve lasagna, salad and breadsticks when we have people over. Baked ziti/pasta is also good, and it is even easier to fix.

    Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! Thank you, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Early Birthday!

    Meal choices are tough for me because my oldest girl is very picky! But when I have guests over I usually do Chili. I love my Chili :P I top it with sour cream, shredded cheese, and Fritos (aka corn chips)! That way, not only the adults loves it, but the kids do as well. Adding the chips makes it fun. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was trying to guess what was on the top.. lol!! Guess it was lost for a while huh? ;) Our menu hasn't went as planned yet..lol! But it's up there all the same! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking baked ziti too.
    Have a Happy Birthday!
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Make your pizzas are always fun for the young and old.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Kathy. Pasta, salad and bread is always a hit with guests. I also use skinnytaste.com for crock pot ideas when I do not want to cook. I have been able to not make the same thing over and over again. :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...