Monday, May 5, 2014

Food waste and a menu, week 5/5-5/11.

Pin It

This last weekend just came and went... I did some shopping, a little bit of cooking, had some fun with my boys outside but mostly I vegetated on the couch with my laptop going through hundreds  of DIY inspirational ideas and delicious recipes on Pinterest. I also took a nap both on Saturday and Sunday. And that felt GOOD! Honestly, I don't remember the last time I took naps two days in a row. I have a suspicion it was some time before the kids...

It was nice to have some time for myself (and yeah, I doubt it's going to happen again any time soon...) and I needed it. My husband was a peach taking care of meals, housework and baths. I love him so much (hey, honey:).

And with all this newborn energy I'm ready for what this week will bring. Which should be a lot. First, it's Mother's Day this week and I'm yet to get my sweet MIL anything special... I have a truckload of work that needs to be done, do or die. And I need to finally (FINALLY!!) plant our garden. I gave up on peas already but some other things need to go into the ground.

I also went through our fridge and was pleasantly surprised to find no waste this week (sorry, Debby :). I do have sort of a dilemma here:

 photo IMG_1090-Copy_zps01b947ca.jpg

What would you do with an almost full bag of bagels? I got them on Saturday but they are just gross. I was thinking of making breadcrumbs but I'm just not sure I need that much crumbs. What is your go-to idea for stale bagels?

And this week our gang is eating:

Mon.- potatoes, sausage, stewed cabbage (because I forgot that it's Cinco De Mayo)
Tues.- tacos (because I remembered :), Churro Cheesecake
Wed.- Shaurmas, salad
Thurs. - Creamy chicken and rice soup
Fr. - Beef strognoff over rice, steamed veggies
Sat.- eat out for Mother's Day
Sun. - not sure yet. Doing something with the family

What's on your menu this week?

14 comments:

  1. I just had a bag of stale bagels in the fridge last week too and I always use them to make Bagel Pizzas. Just open them up, spread some sauce on them and then top with a slice of American Cheese and Bake. Mmm!! I do the same thing with stale English Muffins.
    Your menu sounds yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I need to try it! I've never used bagels for pizzas before. That's a great idea!

      Delete
  2. bagel pizzas was my idea as well! :-) Or, sometimes I slice them into 1/2 or 1/3 (depending on thickness) & turn them into grilled cheese sandwiches for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need to try these pizzas...

      Delete
  3. I actually enjoyed just microwaving them for 10-15 sec and pulling them apart to eat with cream cheese! Even when stale, they're pretty good that way. Oh, and I third the bagel pizza part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to microwave them, and they still tasted gross...

      Delete
  4. I vote bagel pizza too with mozzarella :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena, Hope all is well with you and your family! As far as the stale bagels, why not make an overnight french toast bake:) I've used bagels before and it turned out great!! Have a Great Week and Happy Mother's Day~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, that's a great idea, Lynn! Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Uh white chocolate bread pudding with raspberry coulis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that sounds to die for! Yum!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...