Monday, July 7, 2014

Food waste and a menu, week 7/7-7/13

Pin It

Hello, everyone! And happy Monday to you!

I don't know about you but it's a happy day for me :) After suffering with 90 degrees at home for a week, I knew that there was something wrong with the swamp cooler. So my husband spent an hour or so on the roof today, trying to figure it out and also replacing the pads. There is still one minor issue but it's already a beautiful 73 degrees in many parts of our house. I can breath!! Hoorah!

I might even start cooking again...

I'm ashamed to say it but we relied on a restaurant and take out food more than we should've last week... I just couldn't even be in the kitchen. And we are redoing our patio, so grilling was not an option either...

And because of that, I had some food waste (see Tanner, I'm far from perfect myself :) Surprisingly, it was a salad week. I rarely buy packaged salad but when I went shopping on Monday, it just looked so good. Leftovers two days later... not so much:

 photo IMG_1326_zps2991821a.jpg

I wonder why this salad just goes bad so quickly! I also lost a bunch of spinach. There is really no excuse for it. I got it even before we went for our vacation and when I realized that we can't use it all, I wanted to cook and freeze what was left but simply forgot... By the time we came back, it was too late for this sad bunch:

 photo IMG_1328-1_zps1e08279f.jpg

So here you have it. I kind of miss those weeks when I didn't have any food waste... Sigh...

But at least I'm hoping to be able to follow our menu for this week:

Mon.- breakfast burritos
Tues. - pulled chicken sandwiches, 2-bean salad
Wed. - meatballs, mashed potatoes, green salad (I've had meatballs on my menu for the past two weeks. time to make them already...)
Thurs.- salmon in tomato sauce, rice, stewed cabbage
Fr.- veggie noodle ham casserole
Sat.- dinner with friends (yet to think of the menu)
Sun. - leftovers

What are you eating this week?


4 comments:

  1. So glad for you that you are now cooler in your home. :)
    I notice that sometimes salad bought in the bag goes bad quickly- not sure why that happens either. :(
    Your menu sounds so good! I think you got me in the mood to make pulled chicken sandwiches soon. :)
    Hope you are feeling well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lose salads incredibly fast too. I try to keep them in a zip lock bag after drying them off, since moisture makes it go bad faster. We did lose the end of one bag, but now I'm only buying 1 bag at a time. It's a hassle, but at least it all gets eaten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your house is cooler! I always dislike being pregnant in the summer, can't ever seem to get cool enough. Hope it stays nice for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that during Summer our produce goes bad faster...maybe it's because I buy more "fresh" than what we can actually eat

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...